A SITUATION OUTLINE OF THE CASE STUDY
For the light festival “Wintergloed” in Bruges, our customer made a light construction. It was set up on a pond. The construction was blown over by strong gusts of wind and ended up in the pond. As a result, a lot of light tubes were damaged.
The construction was composed of light tubes on the one hand, of which the customer is owner and on the other hand with rented materials.
Immediately the question arises: which insurance(s) can be called upon to obtain compensation for all damage suffered?
Storm is a covered guarantee in fire insurance, but the following problems arise:
- Objects in the open air are not insured in the event of a storm
- The damage must occur at the risk address that is included in the fire policy
- Standard coverage is only included when the goods are owned by the policyholder
Unfortunately, there are to many obstacles here:
- BA-Operation focuses on damage to third parties and not on goods owned by the customer
- A customer MISTAKE must be proven
- The equipment was rented and this is not provided as standard in the “entrusted property” guarantee